Sunday, July 23, 2023

Past Lives

It's beginning to feel like it did. 

That time when I thought I could create a life for myself that would feel right, when I looked at the tracks behind me and liked where they'd walked. All the good things came when I was there, it's not lost on me. 

I am worse for the wear now, the telltale signs of having been raked across the coals crisscross my skin, singe my hair. But I looked in the mirror the other day, the one little mirror in this cabin whose other reflections are all of the mind, and I saw the glint in my eye returned. Recognized it like a dear old friend. 

The stars across the Montana sky are unending, twinkling into the silent night like it's not their job to find any answers, only keep you company while you do. 

For the first time in a long time, you feel like that is exactly enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment