Thursday, December 29, 2022

In-Between

Her 15-year-old eyes beam with discovery, New York City all new and impossibly promising. She squeals when I point out the celebrity's home and asks me if I've ever spent New Year's Eve at Times Square. After I leave them at the Astor Place subway station, New York looks a little brighter again, a little new. Did I not arrive here once with stars in my eyes, too, and imagine a life beyond anything I had known before?

I go for a run along the river and instantly pull a muscle. There are always ways to be brought back down to earth.

Later, he looks at me and says You do not hate people, you only hate the risk of disappointing them, and all you can think is how long it's been since someone looked at you. You are not sure you are ready to be seen. A new year arrives, but they all look the same somehow, like promises of sunshine under forecasts of rain. A tarot reading would be just as useful. 

I am tired, now.
Wake me when it is over.

No comments:

Post a Comment