Thursday, December 2, 2021

A Little Night Music

The piano keys are dusty, now, you have long since forgotten the medicine that lies under their spell, but it remains, after all these years it remains. My rickety scaffolding crumbles, I spend hours staring into oblivion, until the music returns, until the soluions line up around me. I go for a long run along the river at sunset, find motor memory in old notes, listen to ages full of song, I sink into longhand, wrap myself in Christmas lights, there is brick and mortar at your fingertips yet. I look at pictures from before everything fell and mourn the person who disappeared from within me, I tell her I am all gravel now and she says I love the gravel, and your lungs fill with air for the first time in a month. I am more gravel than perfection, it was not what I would have chosen. 

But we are here now. The plague continues its incessant wipe across the land, it breaks us all, when we come out of this it will all be different. But you have been broken before, and somehow the sun still rises, even in your chest, you have been broken before and you are still here to see it. 

I am determined to see the sun rise
again,
I am determined
to love this gravel
with everything I've got.

No comments:

Post a Comment