Friday, November 9, 2018

Island Time

I forget the time, the date, the day of the week. I forget reason, and habit, and any thought beyond the present. I consider my life, consider what it might look like wrapped in a suitcase. I consider the road, what it does to me and when I should start to listen. If I buy a one way ticket now I still have the rest of my life to get back. That may not always be true. 

We walked in the sand late in the afternoon, the light a ridiculous shade of happy, chasing little waves and letting the tide make fools of us: everything was easy, everything was now. I didn’t think of you then, didn’t wish you were here, I sat on a roof on an island in the Caribbean one morning and tried to breathe the sunrise into my lungs but the secret is the sunrise already beats within us. I know that now.  

I twiddle this ticket between my fingers. Feel the sunrise whisper the answer in my veins. 

No comments:

Post a Comment