Wednesday, January 17, 2018

Pretty House

We found a mouse in the bathtub this morning, a tiny wet thing frantically trying to jump up the sides of smooth, white porcelain and tumbling back down at every turn. We caught it somehow and, unable to bring ourselves to kill it, tossed it shrieking out a side window into the snowy alley and where it disappeared in an instant. I skipped the shower and went straight for another cup of coffee.

The days stretch out in front of me like beautiful, snowy presents; I long for the word processor, for the words, I long to escape into a world I've painted and rummage about in it like it's the first day of summer vacation and the grass is new under my bare feet. There's a smile in my chest that wasn't there before, it's been a while since I felt it, it's delicious. It rolls across my tongue.

When I starve
it feeds my soul.

No comments:

Post a Comment