Saturday, January 14, 2017

Elizabeth and Prince

I moved in in 1985, he says somewhere along Houston. I payed maybe $300 at the time, but it was still money. I was moving out of a 3 bed-room down the street and I've been there ever since. I considered my own residences since I was 11 and realized I'd never lived anywhere more than 4 years in that tiny West Village room with the teapots, and even that seemed fleeting and ethereal. Vagabond, he says. After 17 years I assume he is right. We look at the construction and remember a gas station that is no more. They had the most gorgeous signage. 

Things change, everything changes and when you stop to notice it, it cuts in your chest. Try not to remember. Walk up Bowery, once messy and downtrodden and alive now laced with drunk teenage girls trying to get into the hotel club. I elbow them as I go. Laugh inside when they fall. At least tomorrow I wake up in New York again.

No comments:

Post a Comment