Thursday, July 3, 2014

Yours Truly.

It was a week of such great elation and such terrible sadness. How she called to say she can finally take the babies and come home. How he quit the soul-sucking job ten years after he first knew he should. How we stood sweating at the playground saying our teary goodbyes. In the street saying more goodbyes. The impossibility of knowing what lies ahead, both fearful and tickled at the prospect. 

And then when I had dragged my bags through sweltering manhattan, dripping salty steam on the West 4th Street platform, run towards the gate and crossed my fingers for departure, there it was. The airplane lifted, swiveled the edge of the island and passed right over its middle. Over stacked skyscrapers and minuscule bridges, over lush rolling parks and spires in the clouds. There was an immense rolling thunder in my chest that said this is the only place, the only thing that has ever truly mattered. That this, despite my fears of commitment and my inability to say Yes, is what love is. That though it took me many years and several breakups, this is it. One-of-a-kind. Can't-live-without-you. Love. 

So I am in, New York. 
Let us make this work. 
Let us live our lives 
Together. 
And not part
until it is over. 

No comments:

Post a Comment