Friday, March 8, 2013

Forshade

I can feel it coming, it looms behind my back. The darkness chases me, seems ready to leap on my shoulders at every turn but never does, never catches up and I grow impatient with the constant threat, gnawing at my senses. If you will destroy me, wash over me quick and let me drown. Do not leave me in this asylum ice bath to rot.

The dreams returned this week, vivid dreams and strange stories, and I wake exhausted, every morning my whole body in pain. I realize I have not dreamed the entire winter. The sunlight is so bright, so relentless in its powers, but it also brings light to all that hid under the dark cloak of winter, it is ruthless. My windows are dirty, my body falls apart. My arguments crumble, my choices.

A sinking ship at the bottom of my stomach makes me late for work. I drag my crippled limbs through the sunshine, try not to look anyone in the eye. If I can only make it to my desk, I can blend into the paperwork and avoid detection. Tonight I can bar my doors.

Await the storm.

No comments:

Post a Comment