Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Lagged

I fell asleep sitting up; I awoke with a start and tried to will my heartbeat to keep still.

The clouds are different here, they melt into each other and spread low across the land. The people do not smile,  will not look you in the eye; I forced sunshine and shrugged at the suspicious faces on the receiving end.

My apartment lies cool and calm at the top of the hill, sweet gestures from houseguests scattered around the room. I sleep a heavy, dreamless sleep too early; it can't be helped. It is dark out. It will be darker still. I saw your face on the screen and though you don't know me, but you don't have to. The suitcase lies open, yet to be unpacked, in the hallway. I set extra alarms, for fear of the time zones.

I try to keep this new blood in me, as long as I can.

No comments:

Post a Comment