Saturday, March 24, 2012

His First Time Around

Sunlight returns, life, people long hibernated in hiding emerge from their dark depths and stare blinking into the sunlight, congregate in open areas, mill about, unsure where to turn but smiling, all smiling, all amazed at the awesomeness of nature and spring. Same procedure as last year, same procedure as every year, but we never tire, we never learn, and it is beautiful.

I wake early, these days, I cannot get myself to pull the blinds at night and the sun rises so early now, but it is too sweet, like being woken by a gentle man impatient for you to open your eyes and you cannot be angry at him for that, can you? My blood bubbles, brain waves long frozen begin to thaw, begin to remember where they are and what they thought they were doing there. My empty pocket book gapes at me vacantly, I feast on cabbage at 7 cents a pound and contemplate apartments far beyond my budget. It's all a big joke. This is the season when you can live under a bridge, you'll be fine.

This is the season when you realize it's ridiculous to worry; it's only life, it's only your life, keep your head above and you're doing it right. My muscles begin to itch, roads stretch to the horizon in every direction, the sun sets late. Now is the time to do it right.

No comments:

Post a Comment