Monday, August 22, 2011

and Curiouser

We crossed the island, knocked on a glass door. A man our age picked up the barking dog to let us in; we took our shoes off and looked around. We don't know how, but we'll make it work, he said, and his smile was warm, sincere. Perhaps there, in that corner, at that desk, we could create an office for ourselves. We could build our future.

Later, I climbed that hill, the same hill from my first week in Stockholm when the sun shone and old friendships were made new, when the city lay as yet another undiscovered Pearl in my hands. I turned the corner, found the code in my phone, climbed the stairs, narrow winding stairs but not many. An hour later, and I had staved off homelessness for another month. I'll clear some stuff out. I wasn't looking for a roommate, but you can stay here for a while. Tumbling down the hill, how light my steps, how full my heart of gratitude. Another stranger on the list of people who keep me alive on this Mad trek, and my weariness subsides, if only just a little.

And then that voice came down the line, that familiar voice I have heard so many years. It was the same, and yet something intangible had changed. The baby girl had finally arrived, no one could comprehend and yet we all knew things will never be the same. I can't believe she is finally here, really here, with us. I find myself afraid of everything. Life is beautiful in its simplicity.

Today I dared to believe at least three impossible things before breakfast, and somehow they dared to come true. I may be on borrowed time, but it's so much better, than having run out.

No comments:

Post a Comment