Saturday, March 13, 2010

The Last One That You Keep

And here we were in this quiet corner of the Village. A fancy drink, a simple beer. The dearest old friend, the sparkling new friend, the fancy cocktail lemon twist. I stood under a street lamp and smoked, tiny droplets misting their way around me but all I could think was How bright is New York in the dark. It makes me feel at home, that the night is never black.

From the window of the bar I could see our Morton Street courtyard. Our stories were of old days, nearly forgotten. Of madness on 28th and Lex. Of the first day we met, how long ago that was. Of the life that is now, adventures and adulthood, and how simple it is after even a year, because friendship is friendship, regardless. I signed the tab, we ran across the streets.

Exhausted, I lay my head on my pillow. I remember 24 and a city all brand new. All these years later and love still in my heart. You take care of me, New York, and I'll take care of you.

No comments:

Post a Comment